Graduate Funding Opportunities
2017 Tinker Foundation Latin America & Caribbean Summer Field Research Award
Eligibility and Requirements
- be registered UC Davis graduate students in good standing;
- NOT received prior HIA Summer Field Research funding
- MA and PhD students eligible
Note: HIA Grants are for pre-dissertation field research; they are not to be used for advanced dissertation research. The grants range from $500 to $2,000.
- HIA Summer Field Research Grants fund travel to Latin America and the Caribbean (NOT Europe).
- HIA Grants are intended to offset the cost of international airfare and travel expenses to and from the destination country.
- Time spent abroad may range from a minimum of two weeks to a maximum of four months.
- Travel must be completed by September 30, 2017.
The grant can be used to meet any of the following objectives:
- to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of language and culture;
- to become familiar with information sources relevant to your studies;
- to conduct pilot studies and preliminary investigations; and
- to develop contacts with scholars and institutions in your field.
- Email Address
- Degree Goal
- Estimated Date of Degree Completion
- Faculty Advisor & Email Address
- Project Title
- Proposed Travel Dates
- Departure City
- Destination City and Country
- List any applications for funding (pending and funded) that will support this same project, amount requested, and expected date of notification.
2. Write a proposal narrative (Single PDF, 1 to 2 pages) that describes your project and its relevance to your degree. In it outline the objectives of your project and the methodology to be used. Include the list of information in item 1 above.
3. Provide a basic itemized budget explaining your proposed field research expenses.
4. Obtain a recommendation letter from your advisor that is specific to your proposed project. Your advisor will receive a link to submit their recommendation letter within 3-5 business days of the application questionnaire. Please title the subject line “HIA Travel Award Recommendation Letter – (LASTNAME)”
5. Submit all other application materials electronically no later than Thursday, March 9, 2017 by uploading them onto UC Davis Box 2017 Tinker-HIA Applications Folder (the link will be provided to you via email within 3-5 business days of the submission of application questionnaire). If you do not receive the link before March 5, 2017, please contact email@example.com.
The Institutional Review Board Administration (IRB) has created an investigator manual that outlines the duties and responsibilities of investigators engaged in human subjects research at the University of California, Davis. The IRB highly recommends that all first time and current principal investigators review and utilize this manual before and during their research. For more information: http://research.ucdavis.edu/policiescompliance/irb-admin/researchers/
Awarding of Grants
The HIA Steering Committee will rank all applications based on the merit and eligibility of the proposed project and the applicant’s letter of recommendation. HIA will award grants based on the rankings. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision by Friday, April 7, 2017. If a recipient declines a grant, HIA will offer grants to the next students in the rankings based on the amount of newly available funds.